I'm not sure whether I hate bad runs or mediocre runs more. A bad run is a run where you drag yourself through it, you're in pain/dehydrated/exhausted, you have to stop and walk, etc. It's pretty obvious when you have a bad run. A good run is a run where you feel strong, your body seems to be fluid and wanting to move, you can push yourself and not be miserable, etc. It's pretty obvious when you have a good run.
And then there are mediocre runs. These are harder to define - you're able to finish your run, but it's not particularly enjoyable and it's a little bit more of a challenge than usual. These are the ones that you have to dig the deepest on, in my opinion. On a bad run, you know you're having one and that they happen from time to time and you have to just push through it and accept that these are normal and happen. And mentally you can accept that. Mediocre runs are where self-doubt starts to creep in. You start to worry that you're not in good shape, that maybe your body is tired and needs a break, etc. And you wonder why you're up at 5:30 in the morning slugging your way down the running trail instead of snuggled deep under the covers. It's not bad enough of a run to make you just shrug it off and chalk it up to a bad day, but it's not enjoyable.
I guess it's pretty obvious that I had a mediocre run this morning. I got up nice and early to hit the Back Bay trail by the time it was light out, and I managed to run a decent pace, but I just never seemed to hit my stride and I spent the last couple of miles obsessing about how hard it will be to qualify for Boston and how I'll never be in good enough shape to run 8:26 pace for 26.2 miles.
Monday: day of rest (tired from last weekend)
Tuesday: day of Beth being fat and lazy and not running
Wednesday: 45 minute tempo run, about 5.5 miles. Plus triceps
Thursday: A little over 3 miles, run at unidentified pace but I'd estimate at around 8 minute mile pace
Friday: 12.2 miles, Back Bay trail, around 1 hour 44 minutes
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
If all the runs were easy, everyone would be doing it. It's the mediocre and bad runs that define us as runners. It is pushing though days like today that will get you to Boston. Keep up the hard work, and it will happen!!
I've been suffering with a bout of bad and mediocre runs lately. They can really strike a blow to your running ego. But just think about how glorious your next really great run will feel and keep pushing through. You'll get to Boston!
i've always told running friends and clients that anyone can run when it's easy, but it's the challenges that make us hard core.
one of the hardest things i had to wrap my head around on my quest for boston was how in the world i was going to be able to pull off that pace for that distance. thinking about it like that is very defeatist, though. my coach would remind me that i needed to trust the speedwork that i was doing, coupled with the time on my feet during the long runs. it's a leap of faith, sure, but it works.
don't let that pace be daunting. training smart, getting in the speed and the long runs and resting well will get you to the finish in the time you desire.
Post a Comment